These berry crumble bars are a perfect treat in spring and summer. Great to bring to any potluck or BBQ, and a real crowd pleaser. The oat and brown sugar crumble gives a great flavor and texture that goes perfectly with the berries. You don’t want to miss out on this recipe!
Should I use salted or unsalted butter?
I know that everyone will probably disagree with me, but I really don’t think it matters. I use them interchangeably with most recipes. I’ve used both when making this recipe (whatever I have on hand), and the bars turn out great either way!
What kind of berries work best?
I use a mix which I describe in the recipe, but really whatever you want or have! I personally like to have a mix of the flavors and textures of different berries, but you can make these with one berry or even more of a mix than I use! I personally would not make these bars with just one berry, but do what you want!
How long do these last?
In my house, not more than a day 😉 But actually, these bars are best used within 48 hours. Because of the nature of a crumble sitting on berries, it does get soggier the longer you let them sit. I like to make them the day of or the night before I want to have them for best results.
Is the recipe better with whole wheat or all purpose flour?
I am big on not swapping anything unless it betters the recipe or doesn’t change the recipe. That’s why I like to use whole wheat flour in this. It does not change the quality of the recipe at all, plus you get the benefits of whole wheat flour, it’s a win-win! However, if you don’t have whole wheat flour or just don’t want to use it, all purpose works perfectly well!
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
Berry Crumble Bars
- 2.5 cups berries I used quartered strawberries, halved blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or all purpose
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ lemon zested
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix filling ingredients and set aside.
- Mix together crumble ingredients, and press half of this mixture into the bottom of a greased or parchment lined 8x8 pan.
- Cook for 10 min, then remove from oven and add the filling, and put remaining crumble mixture on top.
- Bake for 25-30 min and remove from oven.
- Let the bars completely cool so they set, then cut and eat up!
Leave a Reply