This sweet potato hash is the perfect breakfast, filled with vegetables and protein. The flavors blend so well together, you will make this dish over and over! The best part is you can make this with meat, eggs, beans, or whatever protein you want. Easily make it vegan by leaving out the eggs and using black beans as the protein. Enjoy and don’t forget to leave a review!
What ingredients do I need to make this recipe?
- Sweet potato
- Turkey chorizo or black beans
- Eggs (optional)
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion
- Spinach or kale
- Olive oil
- Green onion for topping
- Taco seasoning (if not using chorizo)
Is it better with the meat or beans?
I honestly love it both ways. Just remember that if you’re not using chorizo style meat, you need to add in that taco seasoning! Otherwise, you’ll miss out on a lot of flavor.
Do I need to add the eggs?
Nope! I typically add the eggs only if I have them already, but they’re not necessary. They do add great protein and the yolk can add a nice creamy texture in there, but the dish is great without them also!
Do I need to add the green onion?
Nope again! I like the fresh green onion on top because it adds a good crunch to the dish, but it will still be good without them!
Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 ½ cup diced sweet potato
- ½ pound turkey chorizo you could also use ground turkey with taco seasoning, soyrizo, or ½ 16 oz can of black beans (drained)
- 2 cups chopped spinach or kale
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 eggs optional
- ¼ red onion diced
- Olive oil
- Green onion and/or avocado for topping optional
- If not using turkey chorizo: ½-1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- Brown the meat if using (and add in taco seasoning if that is what you chose) or heat black beans in pot. Then put to the side.
- Put enough olive oil on pan to coat. Heat on medium on the stove, then add sweet potato. Cook and stir until cooked through.
- Then add in onion, mushroom, and bell pepper (if not using chorizo, add in taco seasoning and mix at this point). Cook until tender, then add in the meat (or drained beans) and spinach. Mix in to the sweet potato mixture.
- If adding eggs, create two small wells in the hash and crack one egg into each well. Cover pan until eggs are at desired consistency. Remove from heat.
- Add toppings if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!