The best breakfast sandwich filled with scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, tomato, spinach, mozzarella cheese, and pesto and grilled to perfection for a crispy outer layer!
This recipe is great for any time of year! It's a great weekend breakfast that isn't hard to make but feels decadent, you'll want to make it again and again.
This was inspired by my Caprese Panini and my Healthy Chipotle Breakfast Sandwich on this site. I always love a panini because the outer layer comes out perfectly crispy, and combined with a breakfast sandwich it comes out absolutely delicious and gets the day started right!
- Bread (I recommend ciabatta or sourdough)
See recipe card for quantities.
Butter the outer half of both pieces of bread.
Spread pesto over the inner side of each piece of bread.
Place scrambled egg on bottom half of the sandwich.
Top with bacon.
Next, add the tomato.
Then, add the spinach on top.
Add shredded mozzarella to the sandwich, then close.
Grill the sandwich on a panini press or a pan on medium high heat (if using a pan, flip once the first side is golden brown).
- Vegetarian - leave out the bacon to make this dish vegetarian
- Gluten free - Use gluten free bread to make this recipe gluten free
- Dairy free - Leave out the cheese (or use your favorite non dairy cheese), use a dairy free pesto, and substitute the butter for olive oil
- Spicy - add your favorite hot sauce when scrambling the eggs or drizzle on when making the sandwich
- Deluxe - add avocado for a creamy layer
Add a dash of salt and pepper to the buttered sides of the bread for even better flavor! It makes the crispy outer layer even more flavorful.
- 2 slices bread ciabatta (cut horizontally) or sourdough
- 1-2 strips thick cut bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon pesto
- 1-2 slices tomato
- 1 handful spinach
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon on a pan on medium-high heat.
- Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Drain out most of the fat from pan, leaving enough to lightly coat the bottom. Then, turn heat to medium and scramble eggs on this pan. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from pan.
- Butter outer side of each piece of bread.
- On this inner side of each piece of bread, spread pesto.
- Layer the sandwich with egg, bacon, tomato, spinach, and mozzarella.
- Close sandwich and grill either on press until golden brown. If using stovetop, grill sandwich on medium heat until golden brown then flip and do the same to the other side.
- Remove from heat and serve!