Who doesn’t love a caprese? A simple caprese is made of 4 basic ingredients: tomato, mozzarella, fresh basil, and typically topped with olive oil and/or balsamic. It’s fresh, delicious, and always reminds me of summer. But when you want something equally as delicious and a little more hearty, this is the grilled cheese for you. Give it a try and don’t forget to leave a review at the bottom of this page!
What ingredients do I need to make this recipe?
- Bread of choice (ciabatta or sourdough recommended!)
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic glaze
- Butter or olive oil
What is a caprese salad?
A caprese salad is an Italian dish that features tomato, mozzarella, and basil. It’s typically topped with olive oil and salt, but at this point there’s too many variations to count!
What type of tomatoes should I use?
It doesn’t matter! I make this with any tomatoes I have at home. I typically use Roma or Heirloom tomatoes for this recipe because that’s what I usually have.
What is balsamic glaze?
Balsamic glaze can be found in any major grocery store with the vinegars. If you have regular balsamic vinegar at home, the good news is you can also make it! I don’t have a recipe for balsamic glaze on my website, but there are plenty out there. If you decide to go store bought (like me), my personal favorite is the Trader Joe’s balsamic glaze.
What kind of bread should I use?
I love this panini on a sliced sourdough, French baguette, or ciabatta. You can really use any bread you prefer for sandwiches.
Optional additional panini fillings:
- Grilled chicken
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
- Mushroom and Ricotta Flatbread
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
- Prosciutto Basil Wrapped Peaches
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta
Lightly butter/oil the outside of each piece of bread.
On the other side of each piece of bread, smear pesto.
Then, on the pesto side of one piece of bread, place mozzarella slices.
Drizzle balsamic glaze over the mozzarella slices.
Lay tomatoes over this.
Place fresh basil over the tomatoes.
Then, place the other piece of bread on this, pesto side down. Place sandwich either on panini press or on a pan on medium heat. Once both sides are golden brown, remove and enjoy!
- 2 slices bread sourdough or ciabatta
- 1-2 tablespoon pesto
- 2 ounces mozzarella sliced
- ½-1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- ½ large tomato sliced
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil
- Butter or olive oil
- Lightly oil or butter one side of each piece of bread. Spread pesto on the other side of each piece of bread.
- On the pesto side of one piece of bread, place the mozzarella, balsamic glaze, tomato slices, and fresh basil.
- Place the other piece of bread on top, pesto side down.
- Place the sandwich on a panini press or a pan on medium heat. If using a pan, flip sandwich when the heated side is golden brown. Heat other side until golden brown. Remove from heat and enjoy!