Make your holidays more festive with this gingerbread simple syrup. Made with brown sugar, molasses, and all the classic gingerbread spices!
This recipe is delicious anytime of year, but of course gingerbread is typically associated with Christmas. It's a great way to give your lattes or cocktails that delicious and cozy holiday flavor.
My gingerbread simple syrup was inspired by my Lavender Simple Syrup on this site, having quality flavored simple syrups on hand can really elevate so many drinks!
- Brown sugar
- Unsulphured molasses
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
- Ground allspice
See recipe card for quantities.
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredient and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves.
Remove from heat and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Hint: Simple syrup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month! Make it at the beginning of December to use all month long.
- Ginger - instead of ground ginger, you can use fresh ginger if you prefer. You can sub the ground ginger for a 1" piece of peeled ginger, cut into small pieces. You'll add the ginger in at the same point as the ground ginger, but you'll need to bring the simple syrup to a simmer after the sugar dissolves and let the mixture simmer with the fresh ginger for 10-15 minutes. Then, strain the mixture and discard the ginger.
- Cinnamon - if you prefer to use cinnamon sticks instead of ground cinnamon, follow the same steps above for subbing in fresh ginger.
Make sure you have a clean, airtight container to store the gingerbread simple syrup in (recipes makes about 1 ¼ cup).
Store the gingerbread simple syrup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Gingerbread Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add all ingredients and mix. Bring to a boil.
- Stir until sugar dissolves completely.
- Remove from heat and store in an airtight container in the refirigerator for up to one month.