There’s nothing quite like a homemade frosting. I’m a lazy baker, so I like to spice up my made-from-the-box cupcakes with a decadent and delicious homemade frosting! It really does make all the difference. This classic buttercream frosting has the perfect touch of lavender, great for a vanilla or lemon cake! Give it a try and don’t forget to leave a review!
What ingredients do I need to make this recipe?
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Culinary lavender
- Purple food coloring (optional)
What is buttercream frosting?
Buttercream frosting is made by creaming butter and mixing in sugar. This gives the frosting a creamy and decadent base!
What kind of cake should I use this frosting on?
I love this frosting on a lemon cake base, but it’s also great on a vanilla cake!
What is culinary dried lavender?
Culinary dried lavender is found in the spices section in grocery stores. Do not use regular (non-culinary) dried lavender for this recipe, it will not turn out well.
- Make sure to cream the butter BEFORE adding in the sugar. It will come out lumpy if you don’t.
- Ground the lavender into the finest powder possible. You don’t want lumps of lavender in your frosting!
- If you think the frosting is too sweet, add a pinch of salt.
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
- Blackberry Lemon Muffins
- Earl Grey Lavender Martini
- Espresso Cream Cheese Frosting
- Glazed Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Peach Frosé
Lavender Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon dried culinary lavender ground to a powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: purple food coloring
- Mix together the powdered sugar and ground dried culinary lavender.
- Cream the butter in a mixer, slowly adding in the powdered sugar mixture until fully combined.
- Beat in the milk and vanilla extract until frosting is light and fluffy.
- If using, mix in 1-2 drops of purple food coloring.