A cozy, delicious lemony chicken orzo soup to keep you warm! Packed with fresh flavor, protein, and vegetables.
I make this lemony chicken orzo soup multiple times every year, but this is my absolute favorite sick day soup. I immediately crave it when I need something comforting to eat. There's something so comforting about the lemon, broth, chicken, and orzo all together.
This recipe was inspired by my white chicken chili, I wanted a lighter chicken soup to make and this hits the spot every time!
Boneless skinless chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken
Red pepper flakes
The only equipment you need for this is a large pot, large enough to hold all of the ingredients while they cook.
- You can use chicken thighs instead of breast if preferred.
- You can use regular or whole wheat orzo, just make sure to read the package directions on whichever you choose for cooking time.
- If you're very sensitive to spice, leave out the red pepper flakes altogether.
Store the chicken orzo soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. It does not stand up well to freezing. To reheat, just add soup to a saucepan on medium heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
Lemony Chicken and Orzo Soup
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 medium sweet onion quartered, thinly sliced
- 8 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 cups chicken broth low sodium or regular
- 1 large lemon zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup orzo regular or whole wheat
- 2 cups chopped, packed spinach
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Optional for topping: crumbled feta, chopped green onion, and/or red pepper flakes
- If not using rotisserie chicken: Bring a pot of water to a boil, add generous amount of salt and pepper. Once boiling, reduce heat to bring to a simmer and add uncooked chicken breast. Let simmer until cooked through (about 10 minutes). Then, remove chicken breast and shred.
- Pour olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add sweet onion and garlic. Sauté until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Then, add chicken broth, chicken, lemon zest, lemon juice, and crushed red pepper to the same pot. Stir, cover, and bring to a boil. Then remove lid and bring to a simmer.
- Add in orzo until al dente (about 5 min, read package directions of orzo you are using).
- Stir in spinach, green onion, and feta, stirring until the spinach is wilted.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve. Add toppings just before serving.