This is probably the recipe I make the most during fall and winter. It’s loaded with protein, fiber, and vegetables. It will keep you full for a long time, and it has so much flavor. The secret to this soup is the salsa verde. It provides so many of the ingredients that this soup would need, it really cuts down on the ingredients you need for this chili. Plus, the recipe includes directions for both the slow cooker and stovetop options. Enjoy and don’t forget to leave a review!
What ingredients do I need to make this recipe?
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Low sodium chicken broth
Great northern beans
Olive oil (for stovetop method only)
Optional for garnish: cilantro, green onion, tortilla strips, Mexican cheese blend, avocado
Should I make the stovetop or slow cooker method? Is one better than the other?
Nope! Same great flavor, I usually make the crockpot method since it’s less labor intensive (even though both are very easy), but I make the stovetop too! Whatever works for you.
What topping should I use?
I pretty much use whatever I have, you can use all or none! My favorite is the green onion since it adds some extra crunch and flavor, but when I can I use ALL the toppings.
Can I make this soup vegetarian?
I haven’t done it, but you can always add extra vegetables and beans to fill it out instead of the chicken and switch the broth to vegetable broth!
Can I use another type of bean?
Sure! You could also use white beans if you can’t find Great Northern (the main difference is size, white beans are smaller, but they’ll also work!).
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 2 15 oz cans of great northern beans
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tbs olive oil (for saucepan method only)
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- Optional for garnish: cilantro, green onion, tortilla strips, Mexican cheese blend, avocado
- Add all the ingredients except the beans and kale into a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 30 min before you’re ready to eat, remove the chicken breasts, shred, and place back in the slow cooker. Then, drain the beans and add the beans and kale. After 30 min it’s ready!
- You can top with cilantro, green onion, tortilla strips, Mexican cheese blend, or avocado.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Place in chicken breasts, cook through, and shred.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, add in olive oil and the carrots and celery. Saute for 5 minutes, then add in the broth, salsa, chicken, beans, cumin.
- Bring to a simmer and cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Mix in kale and let simmer until tender.
- Transfer to soup bowls, and garnish with avocado, cilantro, green onion, and/or Mexican cheese blend (optional).