This sausage and kale soup is packed with flavor! It’s also loaded with vegetables (carrots, celery, and kale!) to make it a healthy, hearty, and cozy meal. You can use any kind of sausage. I use chicken or turkey sausage, but you can definitely use pork or a vegetable sausage. It’s a delicious and filling meal to get you through the colder months!
What ingredients do I need to make this?
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Italian sausage (no casing) - Can use turkey, chicken, pork, or plant-based
- Red pepper flakes
- Low sodium chicken broth
- White beans
- Coconut milk (full fat)
- Optional for topping: parmesan
If I want to make this vegetarian/vegan, can I use plant-based sausage and vegetable broth?
Yes! That will definitely will work for this soup. Use your favorite plant-based sausage and enjoy!
Can I use cream instead of coconut milk?
Yes, that will work to make the soup just as creamy.
What size should I cut the carrots and celery?
Bite-sized. I like bigger chunks, while I know some people prefer smaller, so it’s up to you!
How do I store/re-heat this soup?
Keep it in a covered, air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. To re-heat, simply microwave or place in a pot on the stove until the soup is at your desired temperature.
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
- Chipotle Cauliflower Soup
- Healthy Taco Soup
- Lemony Chicken and Orzo Soup
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Bowl
- White Chicken Chili
Sausage and Kale Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb Italian sausage chicken, turkey, pork, or plant-based, no casing
- 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes more to taste
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes washed and diced
- 1 15 oz can white beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chopped kale
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional for topping: freshly shredded parmesan
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on medium heat, add onion and garlic.
- Stir occasionally until onion is translucent (about 10 minutes), then add in sausage, breaking up and cooking until cooked through (about 5 minutes). Depending on the type of sausage you're using, you may need to drain excess fat after the sausage is done cooking.
- Add celery, carrots, and red pepper flakes stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add chicken broth and potatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer until potatoes are tender (10-15 minutes).
- Stir in coconut milk, chopped kale, and beans then cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Top with parmesan, serve with a warm baguette and enjoy!
Alina Housekeeper says
bookmarked!!, I really like your website!