It’s hard to find a person that doesn’t like potatoes. They’re incredibly versatile, fluffy, and a great side in general. We typically see them in the form of mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, french fries, home fries, you name it. But a side dish that has been becoming more popular the past couple of years is smashed potatoes! And for good reason. They’re crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, topping them with chimichurri elevates the flavor like nothing else!
What ingredients do I need to make this recipe?
- Small potatoes
- Olive oil
What are smashed potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are what their name implies, smashed. You want to lightly smash a small potato with a large fork or potato masher, keeping the potato intact. This way, you get a crispy and golden outside, with a fluffy and delicious inside.
Can I use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic?
Yes! It changes the flavor a bit but they’ll still be delicious. Garlic powder to taste!
Tips and tricks:
- The more you smash the potatoes (aka the thinner you make them), the crispier they will be. So, if you want more of a fluffy center, make them a bit thicker.
- Use fresh garlic if possible! It gives the potatoes a great garlic flavor that garlic powder just won’t give.
- Make sure to salt the boiling water! This gives the potatoes extra flavor and elevates these smashed potatoes.
- To make this recipe vegan: Simply replace the butter with equal parts olive oil!
- Make sure to let the potatoes sit for about 5 minutes after boiling. Besides making them easier to handle, it lets them dry a bit more to give you a crispier end product.
- Be generous with the salt and pepper! Don’t be shy with it.
- I have, of course, provided cooking times. BUT, every oven is a bit different. Make sure them they are at your desired crispness before removing from the oven. You want them nice and golden and crispy!
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
- Dijon Herb Potato Salad
- Ginger Sesame Bok Choy
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Bowl
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta
Chimichurri Smashed Potatoes
- 1 lb small potatoes
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chimichurri store bought or homemade
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until you can easily pierce them with a fork (20-25 minutes).
- Strain potatoes and let them sit for about 5 minutes. Then, place them on a flat surface and smash them with a potato masher or serving fork to desired thickness.
- In a bowl, mix together the butter, olive oil, and garlic. Brush this mixture over the smashed potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Oven method: Preheat oven to 425 F. Place potatoes on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake until golden and crispy, about 25-30 minutes.
- Air fryer method: Preheat air fryer to 400 F. Place potatoes in a single layer in air fryer. Cook until golden and crispy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from heat, and top with chimichurri or serve on the side.